Friday, March 18, 2005

Three cheers for intellectual dishonesty

Apparently when I gave Karli the benefit of the doubt that she would actually respond in a worthwhile fashion, I expected too much... After I put a lot of time and effort into crafting this response to her reply about my post on Muslim extremism, she shut my party down with a good 'ol liberal cop-out. Here are her exact words in reply to my lengthy, documented masterpiece:
i thought this was a friendly e-mail debate, only to learn that my response has been posted on your blog. i'm not interested in continuing in a debate with someone who misrepresented his intentions for this discussion.
Of course, I was flabbergasted at this, and I responded (by the way, I'm posting her angry response about my posting because 1) it's ironic, and 2) if you're gonna go, go all out--to quote a Hardee's commercial):
Come on, Karli, that's a cop-out. How does posting to my blog negate a "friendly email debate"? I post about what's going on in my life, and this seems very relevant. I never misrepresented anything, nor have I hidden anything or been deceptive. Besides, the original text I sent you came from my blog, which I made clear. And I've posted correspondence with people on my blog various times in the past*. You're no exception. Please respond; this is/was not meant to be a sneaky sabotage attack; I'm sorry you took it that way. If you'd like, I can delete the post until we finish our discussion.
Some things I wrote down later that I never sent:
Karli, you know I have more respect for you than what you making this look like. I took time and effort to craft and document a response to you, and you're going to toss out everything because I posted our conversation on my personal blog? I think I'm missing the infraction here.
Folk, this is not a matter of sensitivity, but a matter of exposing intellectual dishonesty. Karli took the low road, the easy way out. There's no other way to put it. I'm disappointed, but life goes on. Maybe one day I'll find a liberal peer of mine willing to engage me...

*For those interested, I have posted about conversations with other folks here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I was carrying on a serious debate over email (that I thought to be private) I would probably be upset if I found out that the individual I was debating with had posted all of my responses and was dissecting them publicly on their blog. I would probably feel misled and tricked. She actually replied to you after she found out; I probably wouldn't have even done that. Three cheers for dishonesty, indeed.

3/18/2005 11:54 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

I can sypmathize with your/her view--for a moment. Once she realized that there was absolutely no malicious intent involved, and that I was simply following precedent and posting about various political conversations I've had in the last year, she should have gotten over herself and engaged in a polite debate of the issues. There are some very major problems with liberalism, and she refuses to address them (at least with me). If I made a mistake that crushed her ability to defend and/or advance an argument, I apologize, and I'm sorry that her will to discuss is so fragile. I must have missed that in her pessimistic and negative exterior.

3/18/2005 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home