Friday, February 04, 2005

to my anonymous critic

Today I received a very thought-provoking comment on this post. I worked on a response in my few moments of free time today. I am very grateful for comments like these because they make me think even harder about what I believe and force me to consider views/opinions I might not otherwise encounter alone. Here is the comment interrupted by my response:
A major problem that many Americans face, both liberals and conservatives, is equating democracy with freedom. As you should learn in any basic political theory class, democracy is not the answer to everyone's problems. Even in America, the "freedom" of democracy is leading to oppression for conservatives like yourself.
Perhaps I am not clear enough about my views on the differences between democracy and freedom. They are not the same thing: freedom is a gift from God to all men, and in this fallen world democracy is simply the best vehicle for allowing the excercise of human freedom. It's not the best form of government over all--it's simply the best government in a fallen world. Communism in theory is great--it just won't work because we're sinful. Monarchy is the system we'll have with Christ on the new earth, and I look forward to it. Until then, I still think it's best to pit "man's ambition against itself" and advocate democracy.

If conservatives are oppressed, it's because democratic ideals aren't being acted out correctly (ie. the mainstream media monopoly on liberalism)--which, in a democratic country, is allowed. :) All ideas have the right to be heard, and when conservative ideas are pitted against liberal ones, generally the former's win out.
Almost all of your entries center around the problems in media, liberals, and the immoral culture. And it is not getting better.
In some ways our culture is getting worse; in others I'm encouraged. Out moral culture is rapidly sinking, but I think that is the ripest time for people to realize what's happening and change. The homosexual agenda's assault on marriage prompted many people to come down clearly on the Biblical side of the issue. The gay lobby struck too soon, and the frog-in-boiling-water concept played itself out. Back to conservative "oppression": due to the increasing distrust of the liberal media and the rise of the blogosphere and "alternative news sources," conservatism is coming back with a strong voice. Sure, we are still hounded daily by the media, but I'm encourageed every day by the strides this intellectual movement is taking.
Doesn't that lead you to question whether bringing democracy, and along with it the problems western culture, to the Middle East is really the best option? I will concede that the democracy of the U.S. could be the best form of government currently in place, but should we perhaps put our minds to creating something better rather than complaining about what isn't working?
Your argument is self-defeating. If you concede that democracy may be the best form of government, then why should we put our minds to create something better? Like I said earlier, I don't think there is a better government in this fallen world. Perhaps things could be tweaked and re-shaped, but the basic structure is sound. If that last phrase is referring to Iraq....the only people I see complaining are liberals who don't support democracy in Iraq. Conservatives are lauding the successes the Iraqis have made, successes that prove a lot of people wrong.
I can see that you are a Christian who takes a strong stand for his values,
well, thank you. :)
and to me it sounds similar to heresy to hear you speak of freedom in democracy at the same value as freedom through the grace of Christ.
Hmmm. Point taken. I concede that I often speak about freedom and democracy with more passion that I do the spiritual freedom offered by Christ. Please believe I don't value the former more than the latter. Although important, freedom and democracy (and my conservative ideals) do not and should not ever take precedent over the truth I am called to proclaim as a Christian. I'll work on that. :)
When Jesus came to earth, people were expecting a politcal leader to finally overthrow Rome and bring political justice. But what did he do? He paid His taxes, obeyed Roman laws, and cared for the sick, the poor, the widowed (and my I add you criticized liberals for doing just that). Compare this post to the actions of Jesus and see what he thought more important.
The people expected a military/political leader because that's what they'd received in the past. A "Kingdom of God" within the hearts of men was unheard of and unprecedented. I'm unsure how your point is relevant. I pay my taxes, obey the laws, and care about the sick/poor/widowed. And I definitely don't oppose any of those things. Jesus gave us our freedom in the beginning, and I'm defending that.
(and my I add you criticized liberals for doing just that)
Careful. I did not criticize liberals for caring for the sick/poor/widowed. I criticized them for providing for basic physical needs while simultaneously refusing to advocate freedom for those same people. We should also focus on their spiritual needs. But liberals are about as friendly to Christianity as the lions were to believers in the Colosseum....
A thought to ponder: What is your definition of freedom?
Now take that definition and place it in the title of this post--is it really the soil of human prosperity and happiness? Is that kind of freedom truly neccessary to find happiness? Or joy?
Aristotle said that he who practices virtue will become virtuous. Aristotle also advocated private property because it allowed for virtue. A free and democratic society, although it gives reign to man's capacity to do evil, also gives reign for man's capacity to do good. In the end, I believe that only God can bring true happiness, although happiness is not a realistic word. Contentment, peace that passes understanding, faith and trust in God's soverignty, to name a few: these are the things of a "happy" life, and they only come from God.

Oops. It seems you've caught me amidst hyperbole. I agree that when it comes down to it, freedom is not truly the soil of human prosperity and happiness; that description applies only to God. But, just as God gave Adam and Eve a choice in Eden because it would further His glory, so it is that when we have a free and open society we also have the most opportunity to choose to give glory to God. That is why I advocate freedom so strongly, because it brings out the best and the worst in man. Let us strive for the best.

By the way, even though you commented anonymously, I have a vague feeling that I know you....Do I?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for clarifying the difference between democracy and freedom. When you look back to my original statement, I said that the democracy of the U.S. could be the best form of government currently in place. My argument stands because I’m not speaking of finding some other form of governemt (communism or dictatorship) currently in use that might be better, but rather to look toward the future—open our minds and see if there are any better ways out there. My point is not to say whether democracy is the best or worst form of government, but rather to really evaluate its problems and see if there is something that might work better. You said in your response to my post that liberalism is monopolizing the mainstream media. Is there a way to bring a government to Iraq that won’t allow that to happen? I’m not asking because I have an answer, I’m asking because I’m looking for one.
Is there any way, however, that we can make it better?
But now I’ve caught myself in a trap, because at the same time that I’m looking for a better form of government, I’m also telling myself that since we live in a fallen world there will ever be a perfect government as long as it is made of imperfect people.
It’s easy to get caught up in trying to make everything right in the world by challenging government and policies. The biggest difference we can make as Christians is to care first for the people and then for the politics. This is what I was alluding to when I brought up the life of Jesus in the part about healing and caring for people. When you look at Jesus’ life, you can see that He did know what was going on politically, and wasn’t afraid to take a strong stand, but He knew that governments and powers would pass away, and it was more important to bring a soul to Himself than to correct all the political injustices. Are we putting too much emphasis on caring for people by bringing them a “better” political system as opposed to caring for their immediate needs, especially the need of salvation. Are the arguments we are constantly hearing from the conservative side beginning to miss the point—focusing more on bringing down liberalism and policies than on bringing up lost people?

As for your response to liberals providing needs while not bringing freedom, I didn’t expound on my views of whether democracy is bringing freedom to those people or not. Just because they oppose using war to impose democracy on those people doesn’t mean they are opposing their freedom. So I will be more careful how I word things if you will be more careful not to criticize those who understand that in some cultures and religions, imposition of democracy is not as freeing as it was when we chose it in America.

I’m glad my post got you thinking and helped you learn things about yourself. You came to some nice conclusions, and have helped me see a few things different as well.

2/04/2005 5:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep up the good work in your posting! I've read through several of your posts and I find them very interesting and they have made me think about some aspects of things that I previously had never considered before.

~TBQelite

2/04/2005 7:25 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Dude, you blow me away... Incredibly awesome post, Seth!

2/04/2005 8:17 PM  
Blogger Prentice said...

Hey farkle! Thanks for commenting! No I am not going back to Firwood I am a grown up now and sad enough comes more responsiblity with it and so I need to stay here in Idaho. But I miss you guys SO MUCH email me: christietracy23@hotmail.com!

2/06/2005 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home