Saturday, April 30, 2005

We have blood on our hands

I just watched Hotel Rwanda. I was once again reminded and shocked at the brutality man is capable of. And to what end? The Hutus and the Tutsis are virtually identical to each other. The Belgians arbitrarily picked out which people they thought were the best by their physical characteristics--slender, tall and specifically-nosed people were created into a "race," and the leftovers were the other "race." When I learned this in the first few scenes, I couldn't believe my ears. Who the HELL did the Belgians think they were? I'm almost in tears as I think about it. The source of all this butchery and hatred came from some westerners who had the idiotic notion to divide a people based on minute physical differences. It's evil. Pure evil. I can't stand it. And the West did nothing.

Why does everything have to be political? Why does everything come down to votes? Why can't right be done because it's right? I sat through the entire movie, saddened and mournful but not yet weeping. Then the last line of text appeared and I learned that this genocide left behind almost one million corpses.

1,000,000.

Where are we?

2 Comments:

Blogger Tran Sient said...

Some of that stuff about the way the races were split up also had to do with cattle herding nomads vs farmers. The Belgians were certainly bad news though. I find it funny since it is the Belgians that lecture us today almost as much as the French.

There is a better movie (in my opinion) called 'Sometimes in April' that you might like if you liked this one.

4/30/2005 11:05 AM  
Blogger mystickeeper said...

The sad thing is that it's happening again...I was planning on writing an entry tomorrow (again) about Sudan. We intervened so readily in Bosnia, but pulled out so easily on Somalia when it looked like so very few of our soldeiers were getting hurt...and did nothing in Rwanda. And are repeating the course in Sudan.

What sickens me more than our lack of action is the lack of media coverage, while they cover things like Michael Jackson instead.

4/30/2005 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home