Monday, April 11, 2005

Celine Dion joins CCM

The latest I heard on K-LOVE, the national Christian music station:

Ana Laura - Because You Loved Me

For all those times you stood by me
For all the truth that you made me see
For all the joy you brought to my life
For all the wrong that you made right
For every dream you made come true
For all the love I found in you
I'll be forever thankful, oh yeah
You're the one who held me up
Never let me fall
You're the one who saw me through, through it all

You were my strength when I was weak
You were my voice when I couldn't speak
You were my eyes when I couldn't see
You saw the best there was in me
Lifted me up when I couldn't reach
You gave me faith 'cause you believed
I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

You gave me wings and made me fly
You touched my hand, I could touch the sky
I lost my faith, you gave it back to me
You said no star was out of reach
You stood by me and I stood tall
I had your love, I had it all
I'm grateful for each day you gave me
Maybe I don't know that much
But I know this much is true
I was blessed because I was loved by you

You were always there for me
The tender wind that carried me
A light in the dark shining your light into my life
You've been my inspiration
Through the lies you are my truth
My world is a better place because of you

I'm everything I am
Because you loved me

I don't know who Ana Laura is--a quick Google search didn't turn up anything--but she is yet another perfect example of how much of CCM belongs in the toilet. Poor theology, virtually no creativity musically, and clichéd and incomplete lyrics. The song above is a Celine Dion hit from the mid-90s. GET SOMETHING ORIGINAL!!! Singing this stuff doesn't help your image of being sub-par to the regular music industry!

5 Comments:

Blogger D2M said...

Some interesting things I've noticed about CCM stations. Each CCM station tends to have a different quality of music (that is, they don't all play the same thing all the time). Some play a lot of stupid stuff and other play a lot of solid stuff. Juts depends on who owns the station and their taste of music.

Depending who's the DJ (or whatever you call the person who's talking in-between songs) will depend on the type of music that's played. For instance, girl DJs tend to play a lot of mushy, bad-theology, worship songs. Guy DJs tend to play more hardcore "rock" sounding stuff that often has some pretty decent theology with a pretty decent message. This is why I don't like listening to the radio when a girl is DJing. (Yes, I am a girl. ;) )

So while I understand your lament, I think you should keep what I said in mind. CCM stations aren't all the same! :)

4/14/2005 9:38 PM  
Blogger D2M said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/14/2005 9:38 PM  
Blogger D2M said...

Sorry about the multiple posts. *kicks blogger*

4/14/2005 9:40 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

D2M, are you sure that DJs have anything to do with it? Most radio stations these days are corporately-owned, and DJs don't have much control (if any) over playlists anymore.

I realize that some times I rail too hard on "all" Christian music. It's not all bad--I own and listen to quite a lot of CCM (mostly stuff from the "old days" when I was a kid). A lot of my frustration is directed not even at the station but at the artist. Like when a band releases a remake of a popular worship song from 3 years ago, in a version that's nothing special--Newsboys' "Amazing Love." I actually yelled at the radio the first time I heard that single. "Write something original and not pre-packaged!"

One final question: how many Christian bands would still be around if they had to compete in the larger market of secular music?

4/14/2005 9:48 PM  
Blogger D2M said...

I don't know much about [CCM stations] being corporately owned. I just know what I hear. And what I hear tells me that different radio [Christian] stations tend to play different mixes of music. (And you may be right about DJs... but then I'm confused as to why mushy-gushy stuff tends to get played more during a girl DJ than a guy.)

What irritates me more than remakes is praise-and-worship music that has become popular [in CCM]. Every time a band starts doing praise-and-worship they loose all their originality and seem unable to come up with more than one or two lines of lyrics! Many a'band has lost all sense of uniqueness because of this praise-and-worship fad going around.

*Tune* wise, I think a good junk of the popular CCM would die if they had to directly compete with secular music. The obvious reason for this is because CCM tries TOO hard to copy the music of the "secular" world. *Lyrically*, I would say that CCM probably does better than secular music. A lot of the [secular] music now is so so shallow, sad, and empty. And anything that tries to be happy generally HAS to involve sex or violence.

There is good christian music out there. Though I guess it wouldn't be CCM really... more alternative stuff. I tend to bump into this good music more often because I actually don't like the SOUND of pop music, I like angsty (sounding), rock, rap type stuff.

What I wish I could find was a radio station that played music from unknown (Christian) artists, since they tend to be more original and deep. They don't cater to the soccer moms and feel-good Christians of the world.

So um.. does that answer your question? :)

4/18/2005 5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home