Sunday, April 10, 2005

Why I blog: the method behind the madness

I have heartily enjoyed this new experience called blogging. It's not even been a year since I started posting regularly, and I hope it doesn't stop for a very long time. My readers, though few and far between, I appreciate greatly--especially their links which, my sitemeter stats tell me, send a few hits my way occasionally.

But why do I love it? It's not for the audience, although that would be a nice perk. It's not for the money--another nice not-quite-there-perk. I just don't feel comfortable contributing to the already massive tidal wave of advertisements that crush the average web surfers who meander through the electrical superhighway called the Internet. How about a place where you don't see any ads? I like that, and I'm sure others do too. Anyway, back to why I blog.

I blog to get my thoughts out there and recorded. This process
  • let's me remember much of what I've thought, said and felt
  • makes me think through what I believe, why I believe it, and how to present it
  • is just plain fun!
But there's a much more important aspect to why I blog, and it can be summed up in a specific passage from a specific book:
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
I am incredibly excited to have engaged people lately who believe differently than I and are often very good at articulating their points. I always need to be challenged and stretched, solidified in some views (COUGHpiaCOUGH) and perhaps brought to a place of doubt with others. I am in a constant search for Truth. This blog is an outlet for that search and for its results.

I shall end with the motto of this blog: The truths I believe in and stand for are founded in a God bigger than this world. Regardless of my stumblings in word or deed, His truth remains unmatched, undefeated and ever eternal

1 Comments:

Blogger Temujin said...

I hope you are around for a good long time, too. By the way, maybe you should consider taking part in this survery:
http://jacklewis.net/weblog/whyblog.php

Seems appropriate, I'd say.

Take care, man. I still think your crawly amphibian status is a crying shame, and I'm gonna do what I can to change that.

7/20/2005 12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home