Sunday, February 05, 2006

Bathroom humor

I remember thinking my freshman year how stupid it was that we didn't have soap provided in our dorm bathrooms... Apparently Clinton Taylor thought the same thing:
Permit me to gloat. I started as a freshman at Yale in 1992 and was appalled by the fact that this ancient institution was unable or unwilling to provide soap dispensers in the dormitory bathrooms. Furthermore, if you tried to leave a bar of Irish Spring in the bathrooms, the custodians were instructed to throw it away. As this is an amenity I take for granted even in the most isolated rural convenience store, I was less than impressed by its absence and complained about it to the folks in charge, who politely told me to deal with it. Which I did, carrying my shaving kit and soap with me each time. (What worried me was my fellow Yalies who didn't carry soap with them.)

Actually, that's the funniest part of the whole sad spectacle. From the first day I showed up, Yale was showing us how to use condoms, reminding us to use them, and gleefully giving them away everywhere on the theory that if access to condoms was ubiquitous, we'd use them and thereby prevent disease. Meanwhile, actually giving us SOAP to prevent disease was too damn proletarian or something.
Yale has given in. I'm still waiting.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you seriously use soap that's been left laying around a bathroom in J. Alvin?!?

(BTW, I'm emailing you about BlogAdSwap. I think you'll be interested in it)

2/07/2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home