Wednesday, August 11, 2004

I am honestly scared, and it only makes my support for Bush stronger

After reading this article, I am honestly scared of being attacked again by al Qaeda. It seems like it would be so easy, so simple. The right chemicals are readily available over the counter to create something really nasty, and the curriculum on simple electronics from a high school shop class would be more than enough to rig up a rudimentary detonator. Actually, in one sense I'm very surprised we haven't been hit again. In another, I realize and am thankful for the military and intelligence personnel who have gutted much of the al Qaeda organization, put them on the run, and steadily reduced their international connections that composes their web of terror.

Thank God for President Bush, a leader in the face of evil and danger. Were it not for his actions and leadership in the wake of that horrible day, September 11, 2001, we would be at even greater risk. Regardless of how the media portrays him, our president is NOT an idiot, dolt, or(insert demeaning adjective here).

I am reading the biography of Karen Hughes, former Counselor to the President. Her inside portrayal of Bush affirms what I believed all along: our president is a man of integrity, fierce courage to do the right thing in the face of opposition, and a God-fearing leader. He is NOT a puppet of his cabinet, he is not out for oil, but rather the safety of this nation and the world. Here is a touching excerpt describing when President Bush visited Ground Zero on September 14, from Karen Hughes' book, Ten Minutes from Normal:

The rescue workers were clearly exhausted, fueled only by emotion and anger; they strained to see the president and started chanting: “USA, USA.” We hadn’t planned for him to speak, but one of our advance team members, Nina Bishop, realized the crowd was eager to hear from their president, and she went to find a bullhorn. Firefighter Bob Bechtel was standing up on the charred, flattened wreckage of a fire truck. “Stay there,” she ordered, to mark the spot for the president, and President Bush climbed up next to him and took the bullhorn. “America today is on bended knee in prayer; this nation stands with the good people of New York City,” the president started to say.

“We can’t hear you,” voices began calling from the crowd, and President Bush reacted from his gut: “I can hear you; the world hears you; and the people who knocked down these buildings are going to hear from all of us soon.”

I knew immediately that this was historic, and it was all George W. Bush. I turned to Joe Albaugh: “They just saw the George Bush we know.”

This was the first time I realized something I would think many more times in the days and weeks ahead: America was finally seeing the decisive leader shose of us who worked for him knew so well. September 11 changed a lot of things; I don’t think it fundamentally changed the president. We all grow and learn from our experiences, especially one so shocking and challenging; I’m sure I did, as did Condi and Andy and Karl and President and Mrs. Bush. I say the attacks made him more so. He has always been decisive; he was more so. He has always been focused; he was more focused than I have ever seen him. He’s always in charge of meetings; now he was barking orders like a drill sergeant.


Thank God the election turned out the way it did,” Mayor Giuliani told me, watching the president that day.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home