Sunday, August 08, 2004

A Moral Soldier? (Gasp!)

It seems an Abu Ghraib whistleblower wrestled with himself for over a month before deciding to report prisoner abuse.

"It violated everything I personally believed in and all I'd been taught about the rules of war," Sgt. Joseph Darby testified during a pretrial hearing for Pfc. Lynndie England."It was more of a moral call."

Do you mean to tell me that U.S. soldiers were actually taught rules of war? But I thought the official policy of the government was abuse and human rights violations!?

"These people were my friends," Darby testified by phone from an undisclosed location. "It's a hard call to have to make the decision to put your friends in prison."

Another surprise! The media made me believe that all our soldiers were inhumane animals with no moral superiority over our enemies! So far we've found one soldier who doesn't fit that mold. Do you think there are more?

UPDATE: The link is dead. I was unable to find another.

2 Comments:

Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

I don't know; ask D2M or Brad O'Brian from Worldmagblog. They might know...:)

8/11/2004 12:30 PM  
Blogger D2M said...

There are many more! I was a military brat all my life (now I'm a military wife), and I've met some really cool honorable people (like my Dad!). So they do exist. And I would even venture a guess that most people in the military are "good people" or at least relatively law abiding citizens. :D

Abu Ghraib reminds me of people who think they can go do drugs in the military and get away with it. There is no way you can do something illegal like that without getting caught. Either someone will "tattle" or someone with high rank will find out what you're doing. It's the nature of the system.

Sometimes it astounishes me how utterly stupid some people are. Where they even awake for Boot Camp and Tech School??? I often wonder if they were born that stupid or if their parents raised them that horribly. >_<

8/12/2004 6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home