Monday, February 20, 2006

Rednecks and racing

I occasionally find my way over to blogger Jeff Harrell's site Shape of Days. I enjoy the way he writes and, after stumbling on his site again after a long hiatus, my enjoyment was reconfirmed. This post is a friendly reminder not to judge folks based on stereotypes, focusing especially on rednecks and NASCAR. The best part is the end, where he whips out the tongue-in-cheeck sarcasm that makes me grin every time:
It’s your life, you know? Do what you enjoy. The fact that you like to do things that I don’t like to do doesn’t make me a better person than you, and acting as if it does would just make me look like an idiot.

Now, if you’re one of those people who rolls his eyes at those poor redneck NASCAR fans who just don’t know any better, then yeah. I’m basically a better person than you. Because you suck. Seriously.

Nice one.

Tags: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Barba Roja said...

People who enjoy fox hunting are stupid.

People who like to watch cars race around an oval are stupid.

Now, certainly those above statements are not 'true' in that they are only stereotypes, but as stereotypes go we can't pretend that all human pasttimes have the same value. The fact that NASCAR, unlike watching Shakespeare or reading or rock-climbing, does not require any physical or mental effort or evoke any kind of deeper human response says something about its value as a way to spend time and resources.

2/21/2006 1:42 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

I fully agree.

2/21/2006 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home