Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Firefox "problem" is nothing new

Some folks are upset that upgrading to Firefox 1.5 (which came out last week) is "taking one step forward and two steps back":
Firefox blocks the installation of an extension if it is incompatible with that version of the browser. From a technical perspective, this compatibility requirement is a good idea, preventing the browser from operating unreliably due to incompatible extensions. From a user perspective, it's an unpleasant surprise to learn of diminished functionality only after the upgrade.
Is this anything new? Over the last year or more, as I've upgraded Firefox from 1.0 to 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 all the way up to 1.0.7, and finally to 1.5, I've encountered this problem every time. There's always some extension that isn't compatible with the latest version I just installed. Big deal. I learn to live with it, and anyways, the odds are in my favor that the maimed extention will be upgraded very shortly. The article/blogger casts Firefox as "blocking the installation" of incompatible extensions, but this is not true. If an extension won't work, it won't work, and Firefox recognizes that. It doesn't delete the extension, and as soon as an upgrade is available, it will work again.

Why are people treating this like a new problem?

, ,

1 Comments:

Blogger D2M said...

Exactly! I think what FF is doing with extensions is fine. I actually prefer to know ahead of time what will and won't work.

When I upgraded to 1.5 one of my fav extensions didn't work. You know how long it took for that to get fixed? A day! (And it wasn't even by the developer, some joe-shmow who liked the program fixed it.)

One more reason I love Firefox. *hugs and kisses it*

12/08/2005 10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home