Friday, October 07, 2005

Google continues its quest for world domination...

...with a bid to blanket San Francisco in free Wi-Fi access.
If Google is picked for the San Francisco project, it would provide a testing ground for a national WiFi service - something that many industry observers believe the company is pondering as a way to ensure people can connect to its search engine anytime, from just about anywhere.

"It makes sense for Google," said Chris Winfield, who runs a search engine marketing firm, 10e20. "They say their mission is to organize the world's information, so the logical next step is to provide the access to it."
Followed by the bar codes in our foreheads...(oh yeah, and don't forget the brimstone)
Google spokesman Nate Tyler said Saturday that the company doesn't have any plans to offer a WiFi service outside the San Francisco Bay area.
Yeah, and Microsoft software doesn't crash on a regular basis. Seriously, though, I really like Google. They're search engine is the best, with the fastest loading time and virtually no obnoxious ads. Plus they've come up with some pretty ingenious ideas--GMail, GoogleEarth, GoogleDesktop, etc. Just about everything I hear about Google is impressive--except for the barcode in the forehead thing.

3 Comments:

Blogger the Opinionator said...

Don't forget Google Web Accelerator! It's so great cause they store all the web pages you visit on their own servers, including your passwords and credit card info. Followed by making it readily available to any high school hacker! Thanks google! What would I do if you didn't remember my credit card info for me!

-Ben

I must be a robot, I just failed the word verification 4 times...

10/07/2005 10:47 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

I think I missed Google Accelerator because I never had it...but how nice of them to store that stuff for us! I wish all companies were as benevolent as Google!

Seriously, though, I'm aware of some of the security and privacy issues with Google--which is why I limit my cookies, avoid their scripts, and disable the "advanced" features on my various Google stuff--you know, the tracing and ad-matching stuff. But from a purely graphic design standpoint, I love the look and feel of their site, etc.

Holy crap! I just found an error I made that I would kill someone else for making: I spelled "their" as "they're" in the last paragraph of the post. Ooooo, how I hate that!!! However, instead of editing the post and removing any evidence, I will leave it there as one of the few example that I am not, alas, perfect.

10/07/2005 12:36 PM  
Blogger the Opinionator said...

After seeing Google Accelerator, I am wondering what they plan to do with San Fran's info. I mean...they could pretty much have everything.

It's also made blaringly obvious how much google pays to keep their normal workings underwraps. Any other company growing this fast would immediately come under public scrutiny for some reason or another. I just wanna know how google is avoiding this. Companies are around to make money, not to actually help people.

-Ben

10/07/2005 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home