Saturday, October 09, 2004

Initial reaction: Despair

I have no doubt that the Republican spinsters are praising Bush's performance tonight and criticizing Kerry's, but I am in despair. I was never once completely satisfied with any of the President's answers last night. Granted, I did miss some of the debate because halfway through I turned it off and went to get something to eat because I was so depressed, so I can't judge all of it. But here are my impressions from what I did see.

Every answer Bush gave came across to me as canned. Very often the pre-packaged statements didn't even directly apply to the issue at hand or the specific question asked. "Look at his record!" or "Where should I begin?" or "That's just untrue!" Bush frequently indicated that he was about to refute Kerry's point, only to re-hash a talking point that left him looking like an idiot. The President's whole tone was as an excuse, a defense against Kerry's onslaught. Hardly ever did he go on the offensive--and when he did Kerry dodged it easily. Speaking of Kerry, that man is a master of debate. Eloquent, quick-thinking, adaptive, and (for the first time) presidential-looking, John Kerry won my vote 10-1 against Bush had I been undecided and had I run across the campaign for the first time. Obviously, from what I know of Kerry and what I know of Bush, there's no doubt in my mind as far as the whole picture goes that Bush is infinitely more worthy of my vote than Kerry. But simply going by tonight, Kerry wins hand-down. I was so depressed after the first 45 minutes of the debate that I turned it off in fearful, disappointed sadness. How pathetic that I almost wanted to cry for fear of what this debate might cost the country and the American people. Bush had so many--so many--chances to knock Kerry's soft lobs out of the park, yet he continually reverted to his talking points.

I'm sure I'll feel better after I read the positive Republican spin. However, right now I've never felt more pessimistic about this race.

1 Comments:

Blogger mystickeeper said...

Haha, we only hope that changed the minds of undecided voters, ;)

10/09/2004 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home