Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Friends, Opponents and Fellowship with both: Fall Semester

Ahhhh, it's good to be back at college!  Finally I can get away from my summer schedule:  long days, late nights, bad food and crazy-random-(occasionally) illegal activities.  Oh wait, nothing will change about those things........and I'm excited!!  Lots of new stuff to experience this year.  I'm starting a business that will take up a lot of my time (which makes me nervously excited), classes with stacks of required reading--but I'm looking forward to that too because it's mostly historical reading, and I my interest in history is growing by the hour.  And to fill any extra time (or take the place of more important things):  Halo!  Dang, when Halo 2 comes out in November, J. Alvin (my dorm) is gonna completely shut down.  Absolutely no studying will occur for a number of days, as everyone frantically tries to master the new game so we can all pulverise each other in the ultimate shoot-em-up.  Except for me; I will be dutifully slaving away at my homework while all my friends gleefully throw their parents' money down the drain (that last line was for my parents, just in case they stumble across this post).
 
I joined a political science class today, and I am excited but afraid.  Afraid for two reasons.  One, it's gonna have stacks of reading and writing, and this prof's paper grading absolutely kills me.  Two, I am in the minority when it comes to my political and ideological views.  Apparently, all 7 Democrats on my mostly-conservative campus are in this class, "The American Presidency."  So I'm afraid that I won't be able to articulate my views as well as they can, since most are upperclassmen, are in agreement and cahoots with the professor--who knows infinitely more than I do--and probably don't want their bastion of liberal thought invaded by an ignorant sophomore with an opposing viewpoint.  "Oh my gosh, he actually likes Rush Limbaugh!?!  Burn him!"  Actually, most of them are pretty cool people.  The one good thing about this situation is that it confirms what I always held out to be possibly true:  that one can be a Democrat/Liberal and still be a Christian (that is a joke).  Thankfully I know that, although I cannot always explain or articulate my opinions and the rationale behind them very accurately, I am unwavering in my stance.  My classmates and I (and my professor) may often agree to disagree, and they may destroy my arguments with better informed information (or more convincing rhetoric), but I still know they are wrong.  Who knows, maybe I'll convert someone.  Debate, and your brother Discussion, come and find me!  I'll be waiting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Temujin said...

You just keep on keeping on. Hit 'em with a cluebat if you need to!

8/25/2004 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Seth,

Bryan McKenzie

Also thanks for defiling my computer, everytime I fire up the Internet I have to look at that awful website

8/28/2004 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home