Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Faith, Reason, and Western Civ

[I sent the following email to a few of my favorite professors:]

I ran across a couple fascinating articles which I believe you, the faculty with whom I have the most contact with and/or most enjoyed over my college career, may be interested in. No doubt other colleagues would enjoy it as well. Perhaps some of you are already aware of what I am about to describe. Noted sociologist Rodney Stark (credentials here) has written a book entitled, The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success (Random House, 2005). It is noteworthy that Stark is not a Christian (or so he claims), and in researching his book he actually intended to prove the opposite--that Christianity was not the driving force behind the West's growth and dominance.

For those who don't want to buy the book (or, like me, are simply too cheap), The Chronicle of Higher Education has published an article by Stark, located here, that summarizes his points. The Boston Globe interviews Stark here.

In contrast, Alan Wolfe, writing in The New Republic's January 16 edition (subscription required; however, I have a digital copy of the text if desired), mercilessly tears Stark apart. Since my knowledge of history and theology from both the Christian and pagan realms is meager, I cannot know if or when Wolfe is right or wrong. However, my initial reaction to Wolfe's rebuttal to Stark was that, although occasionally mean (and definitely sarcastic), Wolfe seemed to know his stuff better than Stark. On the other hand, some of his statements directly contradict what I know to be true not through science or history, but through my faith and theology. I'm curious what the experts (uh, that would be you guys) have to say.

2 Comments:

Blogger A Wiser Man Than I said...

I just ordered a book on the role of the Church in the Middle Ages. I don't know how soon I'll be able to get to it.

My amateur and biased take is this: Christianity has played a very important role in Western society. The monks copied manuscripts, and much of the art and architecture--as well as thought in general--was developed and guarded by Christendom.

If Christianity was a pejorative force, it would have died by now, much like all the movements that have tried to replace it. It would be asinine to think that something meddlesome and sterile could survive two millenia.

Keep me posted on what your profs have to say. I am intrigued.

3/30/2006 8:32 AM  
Blogger Seth said...

Trent Dougherty is a former teacher of mine, a good friend, and a grad student in the philosophy dept. at the University of Rochester. He had a quick reply to my email:

This is mostly ad hominem and vitriol. Stark overstates his case, but Wolf badly understands the relation of Christianity to Hellenistic thought.

What is beyond dispute is that Christianity was the historical vehicle of education, medicine, science, and art. The political stuff is much more tricky. But would much have this come about anyway? Most likely. Does that take away from the credit that ought to be given to the Church? Not according to this Blogger.

td

3/30/2006 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home