Thursday, February 17, 2005

What do they teach in these schools?

I am continually amazed at people's lack of logic and Biblical understanding of issues. An article in the most recent issue of my school newspaper, the Threefold Advocate, chronicles the sexual activities of students on campus. Student estimates of intercourse and/or oral sex by the student body range from 10% to 65%.
'Sonya' is still uncertain as to whether or not [her and her boyfriend] made a mistake by having sex.

"The Bible says so, so I guess I was [sinning]," Sonya said. "It says flee from sexual immorality; I ran toward it. It doesn't say premarital sex is bad anywhere. It's more something that we've been taught. "I don't believe it came in the way of my spiritual life. It didn't affect the way I treated other people."
Hmmm.....the Bible doesn't say "no premarital sex" verbatim, so it must be some bogus kill-joy rule made up by prudes! The utter ridiculousness of Sonya's logic (read: rationalization) astounds me. But perhaps even more saddening is that this shows her absolute lack of a Biblical understanding of how Chrisians are to live their lives.
"I don't believe it cam ein the way of my spiritual life."
This shows a fundamental misunderstanding of what sex is, what sin is, and what they both mean to God.

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. James 1:5

*extra points if you can figure out the literary reference in this post's title

4 Comments:

Blogger Ansen Bayer said...

Hey, this is Ansen. If you haven't heard...I'll probably be attending JBU next year. Andrew brought home a copy of the newspaper from his visit - pretty funny stuff. I'm guessing they probably don't use it to recruit students for a reason....My mom started getting worried.

2/20/2005 12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The literary reference in the title comes from C.S.Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. It is a question the Professor asked after quizzing the Pevensie children. Is this close enough to win the extra points? (I know of a boy who had all seven books in the Narnia Chronicles read aloud to him by his dad by the age of four.)

2/20/2005 8:56 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

DING! You got the points! I'm impressed. I figured only I remembered stuff from the books when you read them to me, since you were often asleep (Doctor!)...

2/21/2005 1:12 AM  
Blogger D2M said...

I'm struggling with trying to put into words what I feel about what you wrote. First off, I can say that she knows she sinning. If her heart truly belongs to Jesus, she will soon break down from the guilt of her sin. I've been in her shoes, I know what it's like, she can't last forever.

However, you should temper your critism of her with love and some humility. Didn't you do the same thing with your music? Didn't you know you were wrong, but continue in your sin? How long did it take you to finally stop your sin? Put yourself sinner self in her shoes for a minute before you act as if you're somehow morally superior to her.

I'm not trying to say her sin is less or more than yours. Your attitude just seems too snobbish for someone who has suffered the through the same sin. :-/

*hopes this isn't taken the wrong way*

2/26/2005 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home