Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Let's blow up some religious sites

I'm sitting here pondering the situation in Iraq:  over 1,000 soldiers dead, beheading and kidnappings galore, cease-fires broken and new ones negotiated--just an all-around rough situation.
 
Why can't we just blow up Najaf?  Falujah?  wherever the terrorist strongholds are?  Who cares about these religious sites?  They would be important to save in normal circumstances, but when the terrorists just sit tight in there, counting on OUR honor to protect them, they've crossed the line.  I can respect another religion's sacred buildings, but I won't place their importance over the lives of my fellow citizens.  When respect for holy sites and winning a war are in conflict, I say win the war.  Is it that hard of a decision?  It may be our bombs that have to fall, but it won't be OUR fault when these holy sites are now dust; it will be the fault of the cowardly animals hiding from honorable combat, shielding themselves behind sacred walls and the bodies of women and children.
 
Our military is vastly superior to any on the face of the earth, yet we are struggling to win this war?  Why?  For one, guerrilla fighting in a civilian environment is extremely very difficult to combat, especially when the cameras are constantly rolling.  When you have a partisan media anticipating mistakes and setbacks, taking every opportunity to make your mission a failure--or at least quagmired--who count every single dead body they can get their calculators near, it makes it a little difficult to fight, to say the least.  War is not the place for multiculturalism.  Obviously, when half the battle is for the hearts and minds of the liberated, you can't go around blowing just anything up.  But I think we'd be a lot better off if our military didn't have to worry about "offending" the media, and could simply pursue victory.

2 Comments:

Blogger mystickeeper said...

You're joking, right? Blowing up an entire city? It's more than just a religious site - how about innocent civilians?! I don't think "offending the media" is the issue - it's offending humanity by simply writing off an entire city. You want to do this to stop the bloodshed of Americans so let's what, shed the blood of Iraqis? GOOD PLAN (not).

9/23/2004 9:27 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

Of course I'm joking about blowing up an ENTIRE city. I was referring to the terrorist strongholds, which often are conveniently (for them) located in mosques or other holy sites. Fallujah and Najaf are general names given to the fierce combat that occurs there. If I knew that such-and-such a terrorist hideout was at 10th and Main in Fallujah, then I'd be more specific about directing the bombs. But as I don't, I figure just referring to Fallujah will do.

I desire to protect all innocent civilian life--American and Iraqi. I want to prevent any bloodshed. But it is inevitable that blood will be shed, and I'd rather see the blood shed of those animals we are fighting against than my high school and college friends who freely volunteered to serve and protect us.

9/23/2004 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home